CSAT Application Procedure
The levels of credentialing will be as follows:
SUBSTANCE ABUSE THERAPY CERTIFICATION
Level I: Candidate:
Individuals seeking certification who are or have been taking on some role in the field of addictions therapy and are undergoing addictions specific training of up to at least 45 hours.
Level II: Certified Substance Abuse Therapis (CSAT Level II):
Candidates achieve CSAT Level II certification after completing 45 contact hours of addictions specific training and pass the CSAT examination. Practical work experience is not mandatory.
Level III: Certified Substance Abuse Therapist (CSAT Level III):
- Three years of supervised work experience (6,000 hours) specifically in the field of addictions. 1,000 hours of the 6,000 hours may be exempted if candidates possess a Diploma in behavioural sciences from a recognised Institution of Higher Learning. 2,000 hours of the 6,000 hours may be exempted if candidates possess a Bachelor’s degree in behavioural sciences from a recognised University. 4,000 hours may be exempted if candidates possess a Master’s degree in behavioural sciences from a recognised University; AND
- 270 hours of training specifically in addictions and/or mental health. Submission of the official transcripts or certificates of completion/attendance is required as proof of training; AND
- 300 hours* of supervised practical experience working in a program on managing substance abuse, of which a minimum of ten (10) hours must be spent in each of the following areas:
*Candidates are responsible to ensure that their supervisors verify these hours through the Supervisor’s Evaluation Form.
- Screening & Intake
- Assessment & Treatment Planning
- Case Management,
- Crisis Intervention,
- Client Education
- Reports and Record Keeping
- Consultation with other professionals in regard to client treatment.
- Taking and passing the APCB written or on-line examination; AND
- Submission of the certification application fee together with a signed Code of Ethics.
Please note: The Level III Certification is valid for two (2) years. Re-certification is obtainable upon application with proof of forty (40) hours of continuing education earned over two (2) years.
Level IV: Certified Master Substance Abuse Therapist (CMSAT):
This highest level of certification is exclusively for individuals who:
- Meet the Level III requirements; AND
- Have an additional 5 years of relevant work experience; AND
- Have completed formal education at the Master level in behavioural sciences from a recognised Institution of Higher Learning.
- In all the above certifications, APCB reserves the right to accept or reject any applications without explanation and will not entertain any correspondence on the outcome of any applications.
- Certification will be revoked for any of the following reasons:
- Falsification of any information, including experience data, requested in the Application.
- Misrepresentation of certification status.